Richmond Senior Resource Guide
Credit: Stephen Poore/Unsplash
Virginia’s capital city has walkable neighborhoods, world-class hospitals, a vibrant arts-and-culture scene and all the amenities you need to enjoy your life post-retirement. If you’re searching for specific resources in the Richmond area to help you live independently, find affordable housing and stay connected to the community, then SeniorNavigator.org can help. We’re a nonprofit that connects older Virginians to the information and resources they need: affordable housing, transportation, in-home care, medical care, financial assistance and more. Here’s a quick guide to some of the most-requested senior services in Richmond.
Senior Housing in Richmond
The cost of long-term care in Richmond is higher than the statewide averages for Virginia, according to Genworth’s Cost of Care survey. The average cost of assisted living in Richmond is more than $4,800 per month. Nursing facilities in Richmond can cost $8,300 per month, on average, and even more for a private room. It’s essential to research all the available senior housing options, as well as the potential costs, so you can plan for the future.
- Senior Housing in Richmond: We list 55+ communities, independent living communities, and affordable housing for seniors in the Richmond area.
- Assisted Living in Richmond: These communities offer varying levels of help with daily activities.
- Continuing Care Communities in Richmond: Continuing care or Life Plan Communities help seniors plan ahead by offering several levels of assistance and care.
- Memory Care in Richmond: Specialized programs offer dignity, security and compassion to people who have Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
- Nursing Facilities in Richmond: Nursing homes provide skilled nursing, rehabilitation and long-term care.
Senior Care and Services in Richmond
More older Virginians are choosing to age in their own homes, instead of moving to a senior community. But aging in place has its own challenges and costs; in-home care in Richmond costs more than $4,500 per month, on average, whether you need housekeeping help or home health care. Are you looking for resources to help you age in place in Richmond, or care for a loved one at home? SeniorNavigator can help.
- Adult Daycare and Senior Day Programs in Richmond: Day programs for seniors can include meals, recreation, socializing, medical care and support services.
- In-Home Care in Richmond: In-home services range from simple companion care and basic housekeeping assistance to certified home health care.
- Caregiver Support in Richmond: No caregiver can do everything alone. Find caregiver support groups, caregiver training and respite care in the Richmond area.
Senior Services in Richmond
SeniorNavigator connects older Richmonders with the services they need to live independently and stay healthy.
- Senior Transportation in Richmond: Getting around Richmond can be tough if you don’t drive or live on a bus line. Flexible-schedule transportation and paratransit agencies serve seniors and people who use wheelchairs.
- Home Modifications in Richmond: Do you need help with home renovations? Search our list of Richmond-area companies and agencies that offer home modifications for seniors.
- Financial Assistance for Seniors in Richmond: When the bills pile up, help may be available. Several programs provide financial help with heating and cooling costs, housing, medical bills, food costs and more.
SeniorNavigator can help you discover trustworthy resources for seniors in Richmond. Visit the SeniorNavigator homepage and search for services by city/ZIP code and topic. We’re constantly updating our database to give you comprehensive, unbiased and reliable information.
Senior Connections, the Capital Area Agency on Aging, is a powerful resource for seniors throughout the Richmond region. Senior Connections offers many different programs: caregiver assistance, supports for living independently, free educational and wellness classes, Medicare counseling, senior transportation and paratransit, Friendship Café day programs and Meals on Wheels food delivery. Contact Senior Connections for more information.