To request an appointment, please click the “Request Assistance” button at the top right of our VirginiaNavigator profile, or call 804-215-6396.
A good day tomorrow starts with a good talk today. Advance care planning is more than an advance directive–it’s making sure that others are prepared to get you the care you want if you cannot speak for yourself. It allows you to have control over your medical care, no matter what happens.
Honoring Choices Virginia believes that all Virginians should have access to quality support with advance care planning. We provide appointments with our experienced advance care planning facilitators free of charge for all Virginia residents.
Why make an advance care planning appointment?
- Appointments are free.
- You and your decision makers will be prepared for decisions and topics not covered in an advance medical directive.
- Facilitators are trained in how health care professionals will interpret documents, and will help you avoid possible conflicts and red flags.
- Facilitators demystify and simplify the process of completing an advance medical directive, first by learning what matters most to you, then by helping you apply it toward treatment decisions.
- Facilitators are trained in the complex laws related to advance medical directives and health care, and will address any questions or concerns you have about your patient rights.
- Facilitators can also help with the complex planning decisions related to chronic and serious illness, mental health directives, and terminal illness.
- Appointments will be conducted by an experienced, certified advance care planning Facilitator via Zoom, FaceTime, Google Duo, or phone call. Facilitators use a consistent advance care planning conversation guide to guide each appointment.
- Health care agents, family members, and other loved ones are invited to participate from their own location using a phone or computer. If loved ones reside in your home, they can participate using the same computer or phone as you.
- Educational and reference materials will be sent to you by email in advance of the appointment.
- You will have the option of completing an Advance Medical Directive (Health Care Power of Attorney and/or Living Will) during your appointment.