Norfolk Senior Resource Guide
Credit: Jiawei Zhao/Unsplash
From the historic streets of Ghent to the laid-back beaches of Ocean View, Norfolk is a great place to live in retirement. This city of nearly 250,000 has many amenities for older residents, and SeniorNavigator can help you find the services you need. We’re a nonprofit that connects older Virginians with valuable information and resources related to affordable housing, transportation, caregiver supports, in-home care, medical care, financial assistance and more. Here are some of the most frequently searched resources for senior living in Norfolk.
Senior Housing in Norfolk, VA
Senior living in Norfolk is pretty affordable, as the cost of care is lower than for Virginia overall. The average cost of assisted living in Norfolk and the Tidewater area is more than $4,600 per month, according to Genworth’s Cost of Care survey. The monthly rate for a nursing home in Norfolk is $7,000 per month and up, on average. Looking for high-quality, affordable options for senior living? SeniorNavigator can help.
- Senior Housing in Norfolk: If you’re searching for affordable senior housing options in Norfolk, start your search on SeniorNavigator. We list 55+ communities, senior apartments, Life Plan Communities and other senior living options in Norfolk and throughout South Hampton Roads.
- Assisted Living in Norfolk: These communities provide some help with daily activities while promoting independent living.
- Continuing Care in Norfolk: Life Plan Communities, often called continuing care communities, are designed for long-term living with various levels of care.
- Memory Care in Norfolk: Several senior living communities offer specialized care for people who have memory impairment. Norfolk also has many resources for people with Alzheimer’s and dementia and their caregivers, including support groups and memory assessment.
- Nursing Homes in Norfolk: Nursing facilities provide skilled nursing, rehabilitation and long-term care.
Senior Care in Norfolk, VA
Are you caring for a loved one who needs some extra support, or do you need that support yourself?
SeniorNavigator lists Tidewater-area resources to help older residents and caregivers live independent and fulfilling lives.
- Adult Daycare and Senior Day Programs in Norfolk: Day programs for seniors include entertainment, recreation, meals and sometimes medical care.
- In-Home Care in Norfolk: In-home services, such as companion care and home aides, can allow seniors to continue living independently at home. In Norfolk, in-home care costs around $3,900 per month, on average.
- Caregiver Support in Norfolk: Stressed by caregiving? Discover support groups, classes and respite programs near you.
Senior Services in Norfolk, VA
The city of Norfolk has many resources designed to help older residents age in place, manage their finances and get to where they need to go.
- Senior Transportation in Norfolk: Did you know that Senior Services of Southeastern Virginia operates a special, low-cost transportation service for older people and people with disabilities? Learn more about I-Ride Transit and discover more accessible transportation options.
- Home Modifications in Norfolk: Does your home need a wheelchair ramp, an accessible bathroom or other updates? Find a local company that can help.
- Financial Assistance for Seniors in Norfolk: If you’re having trouble paying your bills, help may be available. Here are some Norfolk resources that provide financial help with utilities, meals, housing, medical costs and more.
Looking for a service that’s not listed here? You may find what you’re looking for in our comprehensive database. Visit the SeniorNavigator homepage and search for services by city/ZIP code and topic.
If you want to learn more about the resources available for seniors in the Norfolk area, reach out to Senior Services of Southeastern Virginia, the Area Agency on Aging serving Hampton Roads. SSSEVA offers caregiver support, free educational and wellness classes, Medicare counseling, senior transportation and paratransit, and Meals on Wheels food delivery. Contact SSSEVA for more information.
Like all of Hampton Roads, Norfolk is home to many seniors who proudly served in the U.S. military. Are you a veteran, or are you caring for a loved one who’s a former servicemember? Find local employment programs, benefit assistance, housing for veterans and more at VeteransNavigator.org.