Portsmouth Senior Resource Guide
Credit: Mike Giles/Unsplash
Situated in the heart of Hampton Roads, Portsmouth has it all: walkable neighborhoods, historic charm, and water views everywhere you turn. Searching for amenities for older residents? SeniorNavigator can help you find everything you need. We’re a nonprofit that connects older Virginians with valuable information and resources related to senior housing, transportation, caregiver supports, in-home care, medical care, financial assistance and more. We’ll guide you through some of the most frequently searched resources for senior living in Portsmouth.
Senior Housing in Portsmouth, VA
One of the best things about Portsmouth is the low cost of living. The average rent is lower than in other Hampton Roads communities, according to BestPlaces, which means affordable senior housing isn’t too hard to find. Also, senior care in Portsmouth costs less than in Virginia overall. The average cost of assisted living in the Tidewater area is just over $4,600 per month, according to Genworth’s Cost of Care survey. The monthly rate for a nursing home in Portsmouth: $7,000 and up, on average. Looking for attractive, affordable options for senior living?
- Senior Housing in Portsmouth: SeniorNavigator lists a wide range of senior living options: 55+ communities, senior apartments, Life Plan Communities and more.
- Assisted Living in Portsmouth: These communities offer help with some aspects of daily living, such as housekeeping, meal preparation, managing medications and overall wellness.
- Continuing Care in Portsmouth: Life Plan Communities are designed for fulfilling, long-term living, whatever needs you may have as you age.
- Memory Care in Portsmouth: Looking for specialized care for someone who has memory impairment? SeniorNavigator lists dozens of local options, including assisted living, personal in-home care, and more.
- Nursing Homes in Portsmouth: Some nursing facilities are designed like hospitals, while others feel more like a household. Find the one that’s best for your specific needs.
Senior Care in Portsmouth, VA
Are you caring for a loved one who needs some extra support, or do you need that support yourself?
SeniorNavigator lists Tidewater-area resources to help older residents and caregivers live independent and fulfilling lives.
- Adult Daycare Centers in Portsmouth: PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly) programs provide comprehensive health care, personal care, meals and social activities.
- In-Home Care in Portsmouth: In order to continue living independently at home, many seniors use in-home housekeeping, health care or companion services. In Portsmouth, in-home care costs $3,900 per month and up, on average.
- Caregiver Support in Portsmouth: Find caregiving support groups, training and respite programs near you.
Senior Services in Portsmouth, VA
In order to age in place successfully, Portsmouth seniors need a few basic things: reliable transportation, an accessible home, and financial stability. SeniorNavigator can help you find all these services, close to home.
- Senior Transportation in Portsmouth: Senior Services of Southeastern Virginia operates I-Ride Transit: a low-cost transportation service for older people and people with disabilities.
- Senior Centers in Portsmouth: If you ever feel bored or disconnected, consider visiting your local senior center. There, you can try fitness and wellness programs, join social activities and meet new friends.
- Home Modifications in Portsmouth: If your house needs repairs or modifications to make it accessible and safe, we can connect you with local programs and companies that can help.
- Financial Assistance for Seniors in Portsmouth: Facing some unexpected expenses or unpaid bills? Local programs offer seniors financial help with utilities, meals, housing, medical costs and more.
- Food and Meals Programs in Portsmouth: Feel like it’s just too hard, or too expensive, to eat healthy meals? Portsmouth is home to several delivered meals (Meals on Wheels) and food assistance programs.
Looking for a service that’s not listed here? You may find what you’re looking for in our comprehensive database. Visit the SeniorNavigator homepage and search for services by city/ZIP code and topic.
If you want to learn more about the resources available for seniors in the Portsmouth area, reach out to Senior Services of Southeastern Virginia, the Area Agency on Aging serving Hampton Roads. SSSEVA offers caregiver support, free educational and wellness classes, Medicare counseling, senior transportation and paratransit, and Meals on Wheels food delivery. Contact SSSEVA for more information.
Portsmouth is home to many seniors who proudly served in the U.S. military. Are you a veteran, or are you caring for a loved one who’s a former servicemember? Find veterans benefit assistance, housing for veterans, employment programs and more at VeteransNavigator.org