Lynchburg Senior Resource Guide
Credit: Ayanna Johnson/Unsplash
Lynchburg is lovely, lively, and totally livable. This small city on the James River is known for its gardens and urban trails, museums and historic homes, a long-running farmer’s market and several colleges and universities. Lynchburg’s cost of living is well below national averages, making it a great place to retire in Virginia.
If you’re searching for senior services in Lynchburg, VA, SeniorNavigator will be your guide. We’re a trusted nonprofit that connects older Virginians with valuable information and resources related to senior housing, meals, transportation, caregiver supports, in-home care, financial assistance and more. Try this quick guide to resources for Lynchburg seniors.
Senior Housing in Lynchburg, VA
Housing, in general, is extremely affordable. Lynchburg’s housing costs are less than 64% of the national average, according to BestPlaces. But what about senior housing in particular? That depends on what you’re looking for: independent living or long-term care.
The average cost of assisted living in the Lynchburg area is around $4,450 per month, according to Genworth’s Cost of Care survey. Nursing homes in Lynchburg start at $7,150 per month for a shared room, on average. These rates are less expensive than the average long-term care costs in Virginia overall.
Housing options for older Lynchburg residents include:
- Senior Housing in Lynchburg: Lynchburg offers many options for long-term living, including Life Plan Communities, independent senior living and 55+ apartments.
- Assisted Living in Lynchburg: Lynchburg is home to several assisted-living communities, each offering various amenities like respite care, on-site physical therapy, memory care and more.
- Continuing Care in Lynchburg: The Summit and Westminster Canterbury are two Life Plan communities in Lynchburg, which offer levels of care tailored to residents’ needs as they age.
- Memory Care in Lynchburg: Local assisted-living communities and nursing homes provide compassionate care for people with Alzheimer’s or dementia.
- Nursing Homes in Lynchburg: Whether you’re looking for long-term care or temporary skilled nursing, there are several high-quality nursing homes in the area.
Senior Care in Lynchburg, VA
Whether you’re caring for yourself or for a loved one, there are local programs and services that can make life a little easier.
- Adult Daycare Centers in Lynchburg: Day programs offer fun social activities as well as meals, medication management, exercise and more. The monthly cost of an adult day healthcare program in Lynchburg averages around $1,200, according to Genworth’s data.
- In-Home Care in Lynchburg: In-home housekeeping, health care or companion services can help older Virginians live independently for longer. In Lynchburg, housekeeping and in-home healthcare services cost around $4,000 per month, on average.
- Caregiver Support in Lynchburg: Caregivers should check out the Aging and Caregiving Resource Center at the Beard Center on Aging at the University of Lynchburg. The student and volunteer staff can answer questions and suggest useful books and publications.
Senior Services in Lynchburg, VA
Several senior services organizations are active in Lynchburg, providing essential supports like Meals on Wheels and wellness programs
- Senior Transportation in Lynchburg: Have you heard of Dial-A-Ride? This program serves Lynchburg seniors who need transportation to grocery stores, medical appointments and pharmacies.
- Senior Centers in Lynchburg: Your neighborhood senior center is a great place to meet friends, try new activities, take an exercise class and learn about community resources.
- Home Modifications in Lynchburg: Everyone deserves to live in a house that’s safe, warm and well-maintained. If you need help with home repairs or modifications, there are local programs and companies that can help.
- Financial Assistance for Seniors in Lynchburg: Local programs offer financial aid to seniors that can help with utilities, housing, medical costs and more.
- Food and Meals Programs in Lynchburg: In addition to Lynchburg’s Meals on Wheels program, there are quite a few other ways to make sure seniors are eating well.
If the service you need isn’t listed here, try searching our statewide database of services and programs related to aging, health and wellness. Visit the SeniorNavigator homepage and search for services by city/ZIP code and topic.
The Central Virginia Alliance for Community Living, Inc. (CVACL) is an amazing resource for seniors in the Lynchburg area. This organization offers a ton of services related to nutrition, transportation, caregiver support, care coordination, legal aid, health and wellness, and more. Contact the CVACL for more information.