Virginia's Farm Market Fresh program helps eligible seniors get fresh, tasty, and nutritious locally-grown fruit, vegetables, and cut herbs. The program also supports local farmers and farmers' markets in Virginia.
Who is eligible?
If all of the statements shown below are true, then you may be eligible to participate.
- You are 60 years of age or older.
- You are a resident of a locality that participates in the program.
- You do not live in the same household and you are not an immediate family member of the farmer who grows the produce.
- You meet the program's income requirements. You must certify your household income
How does it work?
- You must complete an application each year through your local Area Agency on Aging to determine if you are eligible to participate in the program.
- Participation is limited and applications are accepted on a first come-first served basis.
- Not all localities within the area served by your local Area Agency on Aging may be eligible to participate in the program.
What is provided?
- If your application is approved, you will receive $40.00 worth of checks per eligible senior for that growing season.
- Each check is worth $5.00 and may be used to purchase fresh, locally-grown fruit, vegetables, and cut herbs from participating certified retail farmers market vendors.
- Certified retail farmers market vendors will accept checks for fresh, locally grown fruit and vegetables in-season, depending on the produce items available.
To find out if SFMNP operates in your area, click here.