ENDependence Center of Northern Virginia
Who We Are
The ENDependence Center of Northern Virginia (ECNV) Travel Training program is for people with disabilities and older adults who want to learn to travel safely and independently using public transportation in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
Through the multi-day program that is comprehensive and individualized, consumers learn a variety of travel skills that enable consumers to ride your local transportation independently. The Travel Trainers will work with consumers to learn transit routes to travel anywhere they want to go.
During Travel Training, consumers will learn travel skills including, but not limited to:
- Identifying transportation options
- Reading maps and schedules
- Planning the trip
- Buying and using fare cards
- Identifying the appropriate bus and/or train to ride
- Boarding, riding, and deboarding trains and buses
- Crossing the street
- Maintaining appropriate behavior
- Learning safety skills
- Handling unexpected situations or problems
- Planning for emergencies.
The Travel Trainer will work with consumer until they are confident and proficient in each travel skill.
- Metro Rail: Courthouse (Orange and Silver Line);
- Metro Bus: Routes 4B, 38B;
- ART Bus: Routes 41, 45, 62, 77;
- Parking: Underground and street parking are available.