Portsmouth Department of Social Services
Who We Are
The Auxiliary Grant (AG) program provides an income supplement for individuals who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and certain other aged, blind, or disabled individuals who reside in a licensed assisted living facility (ALF) or an approved adult foster care (AFC) home. This assistance is made available to ensure that adults are able to maintain a standard of living that meets a basic level of need.
An individual’s AG payment includes payment for room and board, maintenance and care, and a personal needs allowance.
To be eligible, a person must:
- Be 65 or older, blind or disabled
- Have countable resources of less than $2,000 for one person, $3,000 for a couple
- Have countable income that is less than the approved rate for the home plus an allowance for personal items
- File an application in the locality where the person lived prior to entering the adult care residence or adult-care home
- Have been assessed and determined to need care in an adult care residence or an adult family placement